"CITIZENS OF THE WORLD" RADIO PROGRAM FOR THIRD COUNTRY CITIZENS
The aim of "CITIZENS OF THE WORLD" was the production of radio programs on topics directly relevant to citizens of third countries. Through the implementation of the program, a coordinated effort was made to familiarize immigrants with radio and media production techniques. Thus, 24 immigrants and 20 nationals were offered training in radio techniques and community media to ensure their active participation in the production of these programs.
This program attempted to achieve:
- Quality provision of information for third country citizens on topics relevant to them.
- Increased awareness on the part of the local population about the conditions of social exclusion faced by a large number of third country citizens in Greece.
- Familiarising third country citizens with radio and media techniques, in order to acquire the necessary skills to make their own programs/productions.
- The provision of information on the topics of health, employment, education, housing, public management, legal aid, counseling and psychological support, issues of diversity and racism, Greek history, government institutions etc.
- Exchange of information and experience among third country citizens and Greeks through their active participation during the making of the radio programs.
The radio programs "CITIZENS OF THE WORLD" were broadcasted by the radio station "Sto Kokkino" 105,5 FM from Monday to Friday at 19.00-19.30 and were aimed firstly at informing immigrants on topics relevant to them (health, employment, education, housing, public services, legal aid, culture and traditions of Greece, geography etc), and secondly at raising awareness on topics of diversity among the receiving society.
In this context, the following were produced:
- A multiguide for immigrants in eight languages on similar subjects to the radio programs (http://www.learnaboutgreece.gr/)
- A special digital platform for submitting questions and conversation topics for the radio programs (http://www.politestoukosmou.gr/), and a respective Facebook page
- A documtary that introduces aspects of radio production to third country citizens (http://www.politestoukosmou.gr/documentary)