PRAKSIS (PROGRAMS OF DEVELOPMENT, SOCIAL SUPPORT AND MEDICAL COOPERATION) is an independent Non Governmental Organization whose main goal is the design, application and implementation of humanitarian programs and medical interventions.
Our main goal is the elimination of social and economic exclusion of vulnerable social groups and the defense of their personal and social rights.
Our beneficiaries: Greek poor, homeless, uninsured, economic immigrants, asylum seekers/ refugees, unaccompanied minors, trafficking victims, sex workers, children begging in the streets, injection drug users, Roma, HIV seropositive people / PLWA, Hepatitis B and C patients, MSM (Men having Sex with Men), prisoners, people released from prisons, Greek families that face the repercussions of the financial crisis … any person that faces social or / and financial exclusion and is deprived of basic goods.
The three axes constituting our job
- Direct intervention / support
- Lobbying and Advocacy
PRAKSIS implements programs throughout Greece and mostly in Attica, Central Macedonia, Lesvos Island and Patras area. Simultaneously, our mobile medical units travel to the Northern Aegean islands, to the Dodecanese, as well as to Northern Greece.
National and European level of action
Moreover PRAKSIS participates in many secondary bodies in Greece and also in many networks on national and European level. In addition to the aforementioned, PRAKSIS, through the implementation of European programs, participates in cor¬porate collaborations and networks with other EU members concerning research, advocacy, exchange of good practices, propagation of information and results, lobbying, divulgation of information and sensitization on different issues, the development of horizontal and vertical information and lobbying and the recording of suggestions, which are oriented to the defense of vulnerable populations, on policy changes from public bodies.
PRAKSIS INFRASTRUCTURE AND INTERVENTIONS
- ATHENS’ POLYCLINIC
- THESSALONICA POLYCLINIC
- DAY CENTER FOR THE HOMELESS IN ATHENS
- DAY CENTER FOR THE HOMELESS IN PIRAEUS
- DAY CENTER FOR THE HOMELESS IN THESSALONICA
- SOCIAL HOUSING ATHENS
- SOCIAL HOUSING THESSALONICA
- “STEGI” / HOUSING APARTMENTS FOR ASYLUM SEEKERS IN ATTICA, CENTRAL MACEDONIA AND LESVOS
- STEGI PLUS(+)/ ACCOMODATION CENTER FOR MINOR ASYLOUM SEEKERS IN ATHENS
- STEGI PLUS(+)/ ACCOMODATION CENTER FOR MINOR ASYLOUM SEEKERS AND VULNERABLE GROUPS IN PATRAS
- DROP - IN CENTRE FOR UNACCOMPANIED MINORS IN PATRAS
- SOLIDARITY CENTER THESSALONICA
- MOBILE MEDICAL UNITS AT THE GREEK BORDERS
- MOBILE UNITS FOR INFORMATION COUNSELING AND TESTING FOR HIV AND HEPATITIS C
- HOTLINE FOR INFORMATION ON HEPATITIS B, C AND HIV
- STREET WORK FOR UNACCOMPANIED MINORS
- STREET WORK FOR HOMELESS PEOPLE
- STREET WORK FOR VICTIMS OF TRAFFICKING
- STREET WORK FOR INJECTION DRUG USERS
Basic services provided by PRAKSIS through specific programs
- Direct and free of charge Primary Health Care and Pharmaceutical Provision
- Basic hygiene services (showers, hygiene kits, clothing etc)
- Psychological support
- Social support
- Work counseling and promotion to labor
- Legal counseling
- Financial support in specific programs
- Side supportive services
Purposes and Fundamental Principles
The main focus in PRAKSIS is the design, application and implementation of humanitarian programs, as well as informative campaigns on several issues such as STD, Hepatitis, HIV/AIDS.
More specifically PRAKSIS aims to:
- Provide social and medical services free of charge, in the fields of therapy, prevention education, medical infra structure etc.
- Provide side supportive services of psychological and social nature, legal counseling, clinical and laboratory examinations as well as preventive actions, technical health services. • Promote the ideas of solidarity and volunteerism
- Develop programs against social and financial exclusion of vulnerable individuals as well as social groups.
- Cooperate with different Bodies, Municipalities and create networks for the better provision of the needs of the target groups and for the achievement of PRAKSIS’ goals.
- Cooperate with other NGO’s in order to promote the dialogue throughout the Greek society, as well as with official public bodies.
- Provide testimonial to Greek and International political, financial and social Organizations and towards any Official authority.